History of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 328 1944-1984

Jan 30, 2024 | Featured Posts, General Information

John J. Savigny was a President of the Jimmie Clarke Branch 328 Royal Canadian Legion in Northbrook in 1949.  As a devoted member, he chronicled the history of the Branch over 40 years.  Corporal John Savigny served with the R.C.A.F. from 1942 to 1945 as a Ground Radar Mechanic in England, Ireland and Scotland.

So many of the members of the Jimmie Clarke Branch are now memories.  John captured the history in a 14-page document starting with the inaugural meeting in 1944 with the first seven members. Over the years, the Branch membership increased.  They acquired several buildings for a place to meet.  In 1947 the ‘Old School House’ at the corner of Highway 41 and the Kaladar Gun Club Road was purchased for $500.  As the schoolhouse became too small for a growing Branch the ‘Old Pool Hall’ in Northbrook was purchased in 1952 which later became an income property when rented to the LCBO.  The Legion met in the meeting room at the back of the LCBO until the liquor store decided they needed the entire building.  The building was sold making a substantial amount of money for the Legion although it left them without a meeting place.

The basement of the Northbrook Community Centre became their final home in 1971, rented from the Northbrook Businessman’s Association. When Community Centre was purchased by the Lions Club of Land O’ Lakes the Legion continued to rent for many years.

John chronicles the membership over the years, officers of the Branch and even their military postings during wartime.  Thanks to John Savigny for documenting this important history.  View the entire document here.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *